Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Big 3

Three and half years ago I helped take a rather large pig to the auction. This pig brought only $5 and the owner had to pay the auction. Since I had the horse trailer there...and three horses were for sale...
The owner of the horses was being deployed overseas and his wife didn't want to take care of five horses so they sold three. One was a 6 month old filly, the auctioneer said it was a colt and I couldn't tell from where I was sitting, otherwise I'd have bought that one. There was a beautiful paint that came through first, but she was too skittish to have around my boys.
The last horse was a gruella mare. They said she was three years old. I bought Gypsy home. The sellers told me that they had bought her six months earlier.
A month after I bought Gypsy, there was a big grass fire to the west of us. The wind came shifting and the smoke was blowing over our farm. Some people in the area came to help us load up the animals. One of the men, long-time horseman, was looking at Gypsy and asked when she was due to deliver. I hadn't given any thought to her being pregnant. The fire was contained and we didn't have to evacuate but it was nice to be prepared and have neighbors who will help. That was the closest we've come to a fire.
I called the auction house and they contacted the sellers of Gypsy who said that no, she wasn't pregnant. So life goes on. BFF Magie keeps saying that Gypsy was pregnant and would have the foal by Christmas. Christmas came and went, no baby. January, February and most of March came and went...no baby. So I'm thinking, nope no baby. The vet was even out to geld Comet and he couldn't decide either. Three years ago today, Peter is outside smoking, (He's quit for a year now) comes in and asks what that thing is out in the pasture.
Sure enough, there's a little baby out with Gypsy. Since Alex had claimed Comet for his horse, Andy was the proud owner of Sophie. She's named after Colonel Potter's mare on MASH. Anyway, Sophie is three years old. We think dad might have been a donkey. Sophie inherited mom's stripe down her back and the white back hoof. She's really a sweetheart. That's her to the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment